Saturday 11 May 2013

The Beauty of Surah Ar-Rahman






The first time I heard Surah (chapter) Ar-Rahman (The Compassionate), I was in complete awe.  I was mesmerized at the beauty of it (despite the fact that I understood very little). I’ll admit, the feeling overcomes me when I hear any surah in the Qur’an beautifully recited; but the first time I heard surah Ar-Rahman it was something completely different and special – it was during Jum’a prayer (Friday congregation) – it was that exact moment that I knew I wanted to memorize it. As soon as I arrived home I looked into the translation and its’ meaning. Just as I had suspected, it became even more beautiful when I understood it all.

In this surah, Allah SWT (God) appeals to mankind with all that He has created. A verse that is repeated throughout that surah “  فَبِأَىِّ ءَالَآءِ رَبِّكُمَا تُكَذِّبَانِ ” – “Which, then, of the benefits of your Lord will you deny?” Allah SWT recounts for the whole of humanity all the beauty that He has created. In many ways I see this surah as an appeal from Allah SWT. Allah SWT, Ar-Rahman, indeed the most compassionate and most merciful wants to see all of mankind in paradise. He is telling humanity of the beauty he has created for us, beauty which we can observe with our own eyes. Why would we choose to deny that which we can see? Why would we choose to doubt these miracles.
“He created man. He taught him distinctness. The sun and the moon are in reckoning. The herbs and trees do obeisance. And the sky! He has elevated it and set the balance. That you should not trespass in respect of the balance. And observe the weight with equity, and do not make the balance deficient. And the earth: He has laid it for the creatures. Therin are fruit and palm – trees sheated. And grain chaffed and other food.” (Surah Ar-Rahman 55:3-13)
In this surah, Allah SWT shares with us a miracle. This is a miracle that scientists have not known how to explain for many years and have only recently come to learn.
“He has let loose the two oceans meeting together. In-between them is a barrier which none of them can transgress. Which, then, of the benefits of your Lord will you deny? Out of them both come out pearl and coral. “ (Surah Ar-Rahman 55:19-22)





Above is a picture of where the North Sea meets the Baltic Sea. In the holy verse above, Allah SWT tells us that despite two seas meeting, there is a barrier between them (as one exists between every two salty waters. Salty because they possess pearl and coral).

So what were the marine scientist’s discoveries? Studying the meeting of the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, they took samples from each side, they discovered that each water had its’ own unique composition and characteristics (temperature, salinity, density, animals that inhabit it).

Despite existing for thousands of years they have remained obedient so that we may witness such a wonder. The miracle mentioned above was not understood (in great detail) at the time the verse came down; nobody at the time had even witnessed the phenomenon. I believe this was a miracle Allah SWT had created for future civilizations.

Such is the beauty of the Qur’an.  Allah SWT shares with us these magnificent miracles and the wonders of life so we may know the truth.

Please don’t take any of what I have said myself to be fact. It is simply my very limited understanding of this Surah. Instead, I plead with you to look into the tafsir (translation and interpreted meaning) from scholars who will surely provide you with far more knowledge and truth than I ever can right now.
“Everyone who is theron is mortal. And there will remain the Face of thy Lord, Owner of Majesty and Beneficience. Which, then, of the benefits of your Lord will you deny” (Surah Ar-Rahman 55:26-28)



sumber dari: abuhorreya.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment