Saturday 7 June 2014

thoughts on surah al-'infitar (ayah #2)




inshaAllah I'm going to post separate notes separately, like not all in the same blog post. I think clumping them all together takes away from the depth of each gem that Ustadh shares with us. So just be prepare for separate, and possibly shorter, posts.

Last Sunday, we looked at Surah Al-'Infitar. I think I mentioned that Ustadh has been covering the Surahs of the 30th Juz of the Qur'an every Sunday. It's not a very detailed lecture because there are already podcasts available here, but I haven't heard these Surahs explained before so it's pretty heavy for me.

I will say this much before I get into the notes: you know, I share notes that I take and I share lessons that I benefit from but in the grand scheme of things, I haven't learned anything. The more I feel that I've learned, the more I realize that I know very little. The knowledge that I've acquired while being here can be summed up like this: practically non-existant. You know the expression, "to scratch the surface" - to just get started doing something, right? LOL, I haven't scratched the surface when it comes to studying Deen. I'm 100,000 feet above the surface, just trying to get to the surface to be able to scratch it. I'm not sure if that makes sense to you - the imagery makes sense in my head, but then again I laugh at my own jokes too so maybe my logic isn't coming through. Basically, I'm overwhelmed by The Knowledge of Allah (subhana wa ta'ala). I can only know superficially based on is in front of me, right? What about everything that I don't see and don't know? He still knows all of that too. He knows everything. He knows right when the DNA is replicating inside every nucleus inside every plant cell inside every leaf of every tree that grows and has grown since the creation of trees and every tree that will grow - and that's just a tree. What about everything else that He knows? I've already facepalmed like 5x times while writing this because HE JUST KNOWS EVERYTHING. What do I know compared to what He knows - nothing, zero, void, non-existant. It is so incredible to me when I hear someone speak with great confidence and authority about our Deen. Don't get me wrong here - there are people like our teachers who are so knowledgeable mashaAllah, and they know the nitty-gritty of the Deen, and they have dedicated their lives to this knowledge - but even they speak with humility and with an awareness that they don't know everything.

Anyway, back to the Surah and my superficial-practically-non-existant reflections on some of the ayat. 

The second ayat of this Surah is, 
I notice that I'm very affected by the ayat that refer to nature. I love looking at the creation around me, especially the sky. Here in Texas, you just can see the sky for miles and the only way that I can think of to describe its beauty is, it's not "just beautiful." It's so overpoweringly beautiful that your breath catches and your heart pauses for a second - it actually overtakes you for a moment - which makes me wonder if this is how beautiful the sky of this world is, how beautiful is the Creator of the sky of this world? If we're able to see Him one day inshaAllah, would we even be able to handle it?

Sorry, I keep going on tangents. Anyway, I like the sky so the ayat about the sky get to me. When Ustadh was talking about this ayah, he said that word used here doesn't quite mean "stars." Rather, it means "abnormally brilliant heavenly bodies" - so, bigger than stars - and this word for "scattering" is...

...it's like if you have legos on a bedsheet and then you lift/throw up the sheet up when you're making the bed, and the legos go flying everywhere...it's the result of a jerk movement. That image is so heavy - I can see my mom making the bed and whatever was sitting on the bed, flies everywhere - and that is what will happen to everything in the sky on the Day of Judgement. Can you imagine that?

That's really all I had to say about that ayah, the description of what will happen on that Day is just really intense.




sumber dari: thoughtsfromadream.weebly.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment